If you think it's hard being a runner... try being married to one.

Friday, April 9, 2010

Welcome Note

My name is Ryan and I am married to a runner.

I have been married almost a year to Erin, a wonderful athletic woman who has recently taken on the sport of running and has become engulfed in the feeling of the well executed run. It started as a new year's resolution, a goal for a competitive athlete that expects a lot from herself, and it has built into a daily therapeutic longing... one that she takes very seriously.

One thing is for sure... my life in a runner's world started long before my wife decided to take on this new self-implemented goal... In fact running has been a big part of my family all of my life as my father has spent many years crossing numerous finish lines. He ran competitively since his high school years and has numerous marathons and half-marathons to his name. My older brother consistently runs tough 10Ks and trains constantly to keep his body in good shape. My younger brother is an avid runner that has conquered the Ironman with no plans to slow down anytime soon. Running is in my family's blood... and my wife's involvement in my family's passion was indeed inevitable.

Erin is very competitive and grew up in the pool as a league swimmer and a swim team coach. Ironically she never liked running. In fact, for the longest time Erin despised running and would do whatever she could to get her workout fix from elsewhere. She thought it was repetitive and boring and not worth the effort. She was much more intrigued by a hardcore curcuit workout than a long trail run. In addition for her love of the pool, Erin has conquered the art of aerobics class, spin class, personal trainers, yoga, and weight training. She has a hunger for the gym and that wonderful burn that your muscles feel after a good workout. Running was never a realistic option, but her own competitive nature eventually got the best of her and the thought of finishing a half-marathon was too attractive to pass up. She needed a challenge and she put it in her mind that she was going to attempt the run, and drive herself to succeed no matter what the cost. At first it was a struggle, then it was a chore, then it moved to being more comfortable, and before long it became a joy and a wonderful challenge that she couldn't wait to do. After a long day at work she found herself constantly looking forward to getting her running shoes on, throwing on some music, and hitting the road. With extensive work and with her fair share of struggles, Erin took on the road and now feels at home on the run.

My wife was bit with the "running bug" that engulfed my family for so long, and I guess it only fits that now she is looking forward to future runs and future challenges. She is from here on out a runner and this blog is my journey with her as she takes it all in stride and builds her running resume. After all, after the gun fires and the runners take off from the starting line, there is a large crowd of supporters that eagerly anticipate the finish and carry the passion and anxiety much like those out on the course. Through the tears, fears, smiles, and cheers... for better or worse... I will be there for my wife.

I am not a runner by any means... but I am married to one and I realize now that I better get used to scheduling my future family vacations around a run schedule and 10Ks.

Here goes nothing...


No comments:

Post a Comment